All set to Lose Your Glasses? 10 pointers for choosing a LASIK or Laser Vision Correction CenterThe world of ophthalmology is among the fastest evolving fields of medicine. Never ever before have many scientific developments and new techniques emerged in such a brief amount of time. LASIK surgery, which uses an excimer laser to reshape the cornea, offers millions of individuals the chance to reduce or remove their need for contacts or glasses .
Tv and radio ads are filled with fantastic stories about LASIK surgical treatment as the fast and painless way to remedy vision, but stories are also appearing about individuals for whom it was less than successful. Prior to you decide to go under the beam, exactly what can you do to assist guarantee that you will enjoy with your outcomes?
The key to safe surgical treatment in any field of medicine is an informed patient. Take a little time and research the LASIK center you are thinking about for laser eye surgical treatment. Dr. Robert K. Maloney, voted by his peers as one of America's Top Ten vision correction cosmetic surgeons in a nationwide study by Ophthalmology Times, provides the following standards to quality care and treatment.
1. Find a physician by getting referrals from other physicians or from clients who have actually had LASIK or laser vision correction.
Do not be tricked by expensive ads about a particular laser. Choose the doctor, not the laser.
3. Choose a medical professional who has done a minimum of 5,000 LASIK or eye laser surgical treatments. What a doctor doesn't know can harm you.
4. Request info on your medical professional's LASIK eye surgical treatment problem rates. If your physician will not tell you, discover another one. For top surgeons, the figure is under 3 in 1,000.
5. Ask exactly what steps are taken to avoid infection. Look for a center with a sterilized or dust-free operating space. Ensure that non reusable parts are not reused. Insist that your eye is thoroughly sanitized, and firmly insist that the surgical instruments be sterilized before your eye laser surgical treatment to remove the risk of transmission of HIV or hepatitis.
Beware of advertisements pushing "low cost" LASIK surgical treatment. Discount rate surgical treatment is as great as a discount parachute.
More Info 7. Expect to see extremely well after LASIK, however do not anticipate to see completely. Each client gets a slightly different outcome. The very best cosmetic surgeon in the world can't ensure 20/20 vision. Similar to any eye laser surgical treatment, outcomes are as individual as each patient. Beware of any physician who assures 20/20 vision.
If you feel like you're getting a hard sell, you most likely are. You're not purchasing a vehicle; this is real LASIK eye surgery.
If your level of nearsightedness is more than -11 or so, implantable lenses will probably use much better vision than LASIK. Ask your doctor about them and other current advances.
10. While you examine, don't forget the advantages: anchor for many people, a life time of bad vision can be cured in 5 minutes. LASIK eye surgical treatment has enhanced the vision of countless individuals all over the world.